Thursday 15 April 2010

Soul break

A little while ago, I bought this album:

Take me to the river

It's brilliant. Loads of great tracks on it, and I find myself listening to it more and more as the weather is improving.

There's lots of tracks a casual soul fan would recognise - the album title track being an obvious one - but there's lots more to discover over the three discs.

If you've never heard it, William Bell's I forgot to be your lover is one of the greatest tracks ever recorded (sampled by Dilated Peoples in 2000ish with Worst comes to Worst)*.

I've always preferred southern soul to Motown. Motown's (amazing) sound tends towards perfectly polished, bordering on overly-sweet, pop. Southern soul tends to have more pain in the voice and lyrics. It's rougher, sexier. For example, Miss Millie Jackson

*it's not the best track ever recorded. That would be Many Rivers to Cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment